Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stacked Dim Sum Bar



Intrigued by the idea of pairing the traditional Chinese dim sum with alcohol instead of tea, we went to Stacked Dim Sum Bar at Robertson Quay.

Although it was a particularly hot and humid day, the place was quite well ventilated and had a gigantic fan on the ceiling that kept us cool despite not having air condition. It was also nice to have a view of the river with families taking a stroll and people walking their dogs there while eating. The atmosphere was quite laid back and most people were dressed casually.


North Taiwan Lychee Beer ($12).

Having read reviews that the honeydew beer was too sweet, I was decided to order the lychee beer instead and I LOVED it! I don't usually like beer but this was light enough (4% alcohol) for me. And the small hint of lychee in it was just right, not too sweet.


Stacked Signature: Choice of 3 Signature Fusion Dumplings ($24).

We had (L-R) Shredded Duck, Margherita and Scallop Pesto. Being a cheese lover, my fav was the Magherita, shredded mozzarella wrapped inside the deep fried dumpling skin, this artery clogging item was literally TDF! Shredded Duck Dumpling was also very yummy with the sauce, kinda meh on its own tho.

Fluffy White Chili Crab Bun.

This was pretty good and quite worth the $7.90 but I much preferred Din Tai Fung's chili crab dumplings, the chili crab sauce was better. Actually I think we should have tried the fried version of this, I imagine it would be like the fried man tous that we usually dip into chili crab. Only this time the sauce would be inside...


Mildly Spicy Salted Egg Squid ($12)


The Mildly Spicy Salted Egg Squid was the stand out dish for me. Chewy squid coated with crispy salted egg batter with just a hint of spiciness, it's the perfect companion to the beers!


Oven-Baked Char Siew Pastry ($5.90) and Egg Tarts ($5.90).

Char Siew Pastry was good, had a generous char siew filling and I like the slightly sweet glaze on top. The Egg Tarts on the other hand were only average, I wouldn't order it if I return.


Spring Rolls with Yam and Fried Custard Buns.

Spring Rolls were ok, pretty standard dim sum fare. I don't think you can make a bad spring roll, just make sure the ingredients are fresh and that it's not too greasy and salty, and the skin is nice and crispy. I quite enjoyed the Custard Buns, but I suspect it's only because it was served piping hot and the custard was still in a molten state when I bit into the bun. Otherwise the custard was pretty average. This reminds me, I need to go back to Taste Paradise for their custard buns! Those are the best ones imo.


Fresh Fruit Salad ($9.50)

This was probably the most expensive food item on the menu and guess what, it was the most ordinary one of all! Made of cubed mango, watermelon and papaya, the Fresh Fruit Salad was not worth the $9.50 price tag at all! Can't fathom why this is one of the most expensive item on the menu!


Steamed Har Kau

The thing I'll always order when having dim sum is har kau. Stacked's Har Kau was pretty good despite being on the small side. Although the prawns used was fresh, I felt it didn't have the slightly crunchy bite that we find in the har kau served in traditional dim sum restaurants.


Deep Fried Prawn Dumpling ($5.90)

This was supposed to be one of the Stacked Favourites but I thought it was only ok, not spectacular. And there was not enough sauce given. It was only enough to dip each dumpling like once!


Stacked Mango Sago Pomelo with Peach Vodka.

This was my friend's order. It sounded interesting enough but unfortunately, there was no hint of vodka at all. My friend added the whole shot of Peach Vodka in but it didn't seem to taste any different.


XO Carrot Cake.

We waited more than an hour for this dish and luckily it was worth the wait. The carrot cake had a nice flavour to it and both my friend and I agreed that it tastes like the one they serve in Taste Paradise. Not too sure if this is cheaper though.

As we didn't have any dinner before going over, we ordered quite a lot and ended up spending about $50 each! Pretty expensive. I'll definitely return to Stacked, but next time I'll go after a small dinner just to have a beer with a few dim sum for snacks.


North Taiwan Honeydew Beer.

My friend ordered this to takeaway. Yes, takeaway is available and there's no service charge for that :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter