Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DB Bistro Moderne




Went to have lunch at Daniel Boulud's DB Bistro Moderne at Marina Bay Sands on a Tuesday afternoon to try the famed burger. It was actually pretty packed when I went, these pictures were taken when the restaurant was closing for lunch. I like the interior of the restaurant, it has kind of a traditional European bistro look, reminds me of Paris!

Since it was our first time there, we decided to order the burger to share. I mean, the burger costs $38! What if we didn't like it? Then we would have wasted $76 /auntie

I wanted to have it medium rare but the server informed me that medium was better for the burger. He did give a reason but somehow it went in one ear and out the other.



the original DB burger ($38)


The Original DB Burger was a sirloin burger with braised short ribs and foie gras in the middle. Beef with foie gras... that sounds a bit too rich. But I couldn't really taste the foie gras when eating but the smooth texture of it actually complements the braised short ribs and patty quite well. The bun seems comically small on top of the giant patty but oh well, it's not supposed to be the highlight of the dish anyway.

Also, I noticed that other diners were served a bread basket while I didn't get one and I was kinda miffed since I love bread and was looking forward to trying their bread basket. But I asked the server about it and he quickly brought out one with some butter.




Next was dessert, which reminds me of another thing that annoyed me about the service. So I was finished with the burger and was enjoying the fries, and the server came and put the little tin with the fries on the table and left with the plate the burger was served on. And shortly after, the desserts arrived! It was good that we didn't have to wait for long for the desserts but we were only about half way through the fries at that time. And since we ordered profiteroles, we had to start eating them immediately or the ice cream would all melt! Really, service was not horrible or anything, but these little things really ticked me off!!

Ok enough ranting, back to the food...


Profiteroles au caramel ($15)

The profiteroles were awesome which made up for them serving it a bit too early. On the website, it states that they serve profiteroles au cafe on the desserts menu but they only had profiteroles au caramel on the menu in the restaurant. Not that I'm complaining, I love caramel. But I wonder if they tweak their menu regularly? That would be pretty cool.


Warm madeleines ($8)


We were feeling quite full at this point and thought we wouldn't be able to finish what seemed to be a whole lot of madeleines. But once we popped one in our mouths we couldn't stop gobbling them down lol. The madeleines were delicious, once we had tried it we started thinking about returning to have it again! Served slightly warm with a dusting of sugar, they were light and fluffy and had a faint orange taste. Paired with a cup of tea, it was the perfect end of meal treat.

One thing I liked about the tea, which also cost $8 btw, was that they didn't serve it with the tea bag in the pot. Otherwise the tea would taste bitter from being steeped for too long at the second pour.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter